This is a great recipe to bridge the gap between summer and autumn which seems to have happened so quickly! The crunchy, chewy, almond flavoured meringue goes really nicely with the lemon cream filling, oozing with homemade lemon curd. The vibrant yellow peeking out the edges just adds to the appeal!
My dad says that this is the best dessert I have even made. I make a lot of desserts, so that is saying something… .
4 large egg whites
225g caster sugar
1 tsp almond extract
50g ground almonds
300ml double cream
1-2 tbsp icing sugar
6 tbsp lemon curd
1 tbsp toasted flaked almond
- Heat oven to 190C/170C fan/gas 5 and line a Swiss roll tin (about 23 x 30cm) with baking parchment.
- Whisk the egg whites in a clean bowl until stiff. Slowly add the sugar, still whisking, until stiff and glossy.
- Fold in the almond extract and ground almonds until lightly incorporated. Pour into the Swiss roll tin and smooth over, tapping the tin to remove any big air bubbles.
- Bake for 30-35 mins or until the top is golden and feels firm and set. Remove from oven, cover with baking parchment and a damp tea towel. Leave to cool.
- To serve, whip the cream until thick. Spoon a third into a piping bag and set aside. Invert the roulade onto a large sheet of baking parchment sprinkled with icing sugar. Carefully peel off lining paper and spread over the lemon curd, then spread over the rest of the cream.
- Roll up carefully, using the paper to help you. Dust with icing sugar and flaked almonds and you’re ready to serve.